Are Dachshunds for You?
Please ensure you read upon the breed before you consider a dachshund. They are what it says on
Dachshunds are scent hound dog breeds who were bred to hunt badgers and other tunnelling
animals, rabbits and foxes. Packs of Dachshunds were used even to trail wild boar. Today, their
versatility makes them excellent family companions, show dogs and small game hunters.
- Dachshunds are lap dogs they like to sit on you and the furniture
- They are stubborn and can be difficult to house train. They do not like the rain!
- Dachshunds have loud deep barks and they do like to use it upon welcoming and if strangers come into their home – otherwise they are calm and quiet
- They can be energetic and like walks but do not need long walks
- They live long lives – 15 years is average
- They can have a few medical issues – back problems often come with them being overweight – generally they are not prone to any medical issues only with bad breeding.
- Do not overfeed! They like food!
- They are intelligent and do not like to be left home alone for long periods. They can be
- Once you have a dachshund you will never own any other breed!!!
- It is very easy to become obsessed by them – they do live together very happily
- They like to dig and burrow
- They are lions in small bodies and are not frightened of bigger dogs